Amazon Banner

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Mint/Pudina Rice


Mint/ Pudina Rice:

“Mint” wow! It is the aroma of mint that makes the dish yummy. I love to use mint in many of my dishes, here I’m going to present you with a healthy recipe of Mint Rice. There are a lot of varieties to prepare mint/pudina rice but I like to prepare it in this method as it is tasty and nutritious.

Ingredients:
  • Fresh mint leaves – 2 medium sized packs

  • Jeera – 1 ½ teaspoon

  • Cinnamon – 2” stick

  • Cloves – 6

  • Green chilies – 6 small sized

  • Basmati Rice – 3 cups

  • Onions – 1 medium sized

  • Carrots – 1

  • Potatoes – 2 medium sized

  • Green beans – 10

  • Peas – a handful

  • Salt for taste

  • Oil – 3 teaspoons

  • Water – 5 cups

Preparation:

  • Separate the mint leaves from the stems and wash them. Cut the onions into thin long pieces and the remaining vegetables into 1’ pieces.

  • Using a blender/mixer grind 1 teaspoon of jeera, cinnamon and cloves into powder, then add mint/pudina, green chilies, into a smooth paste.

  • In a deep sauce pan, heat the oil and add the remaining jeera and let it turn brown in color. Now, add the blended paste and fry for a minute now add all the cut vegetables and peas to the pan. Add the basmati rice to the pan and fry for 5 min.

  • Add salt and 5 cups of water to the mixture in the sauce pan. Let the water boil.

  • When the water starts to boil close the sauce pan with a lid and cook it in low flame for a few minutes. Check if the rice is cooked frequently.

  • Delicious mint/pudina rice is ready to be served. Enjoy it with plain yogurt, raita or even with the eggplant masala.

Warnings:

  • Add the salt, green chilies according to your taste.

  • Make sure that the sauce pan is thick at the bottom; otherwise the rice will be burnt.

  • Do not stir the rice while it is cooking.

Alterations:

  • You can spinach leaves to the mint leaves if you don’t have enough mint.

  • If you like add 2 teaspoons of coconut powder and also cashew nuts to make it yummier.

  • You can use any rice variety instead of basmati but make sure it is not sticky.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

very very tasty! eppudu vandi pedtaav?

Unknown said...

Very good recipes. I tried your gutti vankaya kura also. Nice curry. Please keep posting many more recipes Readers, please see Raji's profile here to know more about her.

Unknown said...

GOOD JOB...GR88 RECIPES....I CUDNT RESIST LICKING THE BOWL OFF!!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Raji,

I am Lisa Henry, chief chef at an international cuisine based in San Deigo, CA. I saw your "Eggplant Masala" recipe online. I am interested in people like you who try a variety of recipes. Actually, we have Indian lunch buffet every Monday at out restaurant. I invite many people like you on a weekly basis for preparing some good indian food on those days. You can email me if you are interested. I am looking forward to hear from you.

Regards,
Lisa Henry
lhlisa.henry@gmail.com

Raji said...

Hi Lisa..

Thank you for ur positive comments. I'm pretty much interested in cooking and attending events related to cooking bu t I'm skeptical about attennding urs as I live in Vabeach, VA.

Raji

Raji said...

Thank you all for ur wonderful comments. I'm delighted and these comments make me more enthusiastic.

Raji

Anonymous said...

Raji,

You need not worry about that. We do provide travel and accomodation but for only 3 times in a calendar year. As I mentioned earlier, please email me your updated CV if you are still interested.

Thanks,
Lisa Henry
lhlisa.henry@gmail.com

Raji said...

Lisa
Please check ur email

Anonymous said...

April Fool my dear sis

---Radhika